Register
In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased access to Members Forums. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

Just for fun -- Remember When?

Moderators: Beaj, HarDra, Birthe

Dragonlair

Re: Just for fun -- Remember When?

Postby Dragonlair » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:18 am

Just a little BTW -- I don't know about Canada or Europe but the Dot is still on sale for $29.99 (plus tax). It might stay that way until the first of the year.

You can get multiples and make them act like an intercom. We can't -- we don't have a smartphone and that's needed for the "drop-in" feature to make it work.
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Lyudmila

Postby Lyudmila » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Do you remember how safe the world of our childhood was? I cant imagine modern kids wandering about like we did, without a granny or mum walking us, without mobile telephones for the family to know where we were at this or that moment. We ate unwashed fruit and vegetables, wild strawberries growing on the slopes a metre from the railway, we played snowballs and skied and sledged all winter through after school, no one ever had a cold.
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Lyudmila wrote:Do you remember how safe the world of our childhood was? I cant imagine modern kids wandering about like we did, without a granny or mum walking us, without mobile telephones for the family to know where we were at this or that moment. We ate unwashed fruit and vegetables, wild strawberries growing on the slopes a metre from the railway, we played snowballs and skied and sledged all winter through after school, no one ever had a cold.

Remember when our parents could leave us home either totally alone if they weren't that far or with just neighbors kinda keeping an eye on us? Nowadays, you'll get your kids taken away and you charged with neglect if you leave them for 10 minutes!

Remember when you could discipline your kids when they misbehaved? Now, many parents are afraid of their kids because they threaten to call the cops and say they've been abused if their given any kind of limits!
Diane
stitchcrazy

Postby stitchcrazy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 am

Sorry it took me so long to get back, life happened to me in a big way, one thing after another.
When I was 5 my mother had a neighbor teenage girl babysit me while she went to a school function (she was a teacher), she came home a bit early to discover that the babysitter had left to go see her boyfriend a few doors down and I was home alone. Last babysitter, from then on I stayed alone, but then I was a responsible child even at that age. She remarried and my first sister was born the month before I turned 7. I learned about how to take care of babies (cloth diapers with PINS). 11 months after that sister #2 was born, a bit on the small side, 6 lbs. I got home from school (walked about 2 miles) the day they came home and she handed me the 3 day old, the 11 month old was in the crib, she left for the grocery store. Isn't that the way we all learned how to take care of a baby?
I remember walking to school almost everywhere we lived other than on Guam (the school was not on base), and in high school (we lived almost 10 miles from school). Back then you had to live over 7 miles away to qualify for the bus. now it's more like 1 mile.
I remember having to carry all my school books in my arms to and from school, no book bag or backpack.
We lived in the city, except for 2 years when my mother taught at a then rural school in the town of TAMPA, FLORIDA! We were there from the time I was 2-4 years old and I remember walking across the country road in the mornings to get eggs for breakfast from the gentleman who took care of the chickens for the school.
I remember when cars did not have seat belts or padded dashboards and when they came out with child car seats, I think around 1960, they were not for safety. They were a booster seat that hung on the back of the front seat with 2 big hooks for the sole purpose of raising the child up so (s)he could see out the windshield.
Liz

A wise person does not keep a sledgehammer and a slow computer in the same room.
Lyudmila

Postby Lyudmila » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Do you remember the illumination on the trees- what it looked like in 1950s? The very first garland I remember (c.1956) was made of lamps shaped like small capsicums (dont ask me why) and they were green, red, yellow and blue. They were working in one mode- just non-stop until you unplug it. Besides, if one lamp "burnt", the rest would not work, so Dad would spread the garland on the floor and check every and each lamp. Our neighbours next door had beautiful candles(real!) lit on their tree. I would talk about how much better candles are than the old garland, but my parents did not risk to use candles knowing far too well me and our cat.

In 1960s the garlands were more colourful, with tiny lamps which could glitter, the rest of the story you know.

Maybe because it was after the war, people were trying to forget the past hard times, but hand made ornaments were not in fashion, new, blown glass colourful decorations would be bought by sets- I remember a friend of the family gave us a huge box of the heroes of Gianni Rodari's Chipollino's friends and enemies.
Do you remember your first trees and lights and ornaments?
Beaj

Postby Beaj » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm

I remember Tinsel icicles...I remember lights the would go on and off...I remember plastic and a few glass ornaments...I remember candy canes & mandarin oranges in our stockings. I remember walking in the evening to mid night Mass. I remember Carolers who went up and down the street singing. I remember mixed nuts in a bowl with nut crackers & picks to dig out the nut pieces that didn't drop out. I think lastly I remember Hot Chocolate for kids & Egg Nog for adults because it was spiked with rum..... Gi{{
NEXT ^@%$! What do you remember?
" A laugh is a smile that bursts"
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm

I remember the variable shaped glass ornaments from the late 50s. Mainly - because I still have about a dozen of them from that period. My parents gave them to me. They're far too fragile to use now.

The story is my parent's bought them when my brother was 3, my sister was 2 and I was an infant. My brother would take the ornaments off the tree and then hand them to my sister who tried to bounce them! Only about a dozen that he couldn't reach survived. That's why they put the Christmas tree in the playpen -- keep the kids out! I still have a snapshot when I was about 2 with that configuration. Gi{{

From the time I was 10, we never had a real tree. My sister is highly allergic to pine to pine and often ended up in the emergency room between Thanksgiving and the new year. We had one of the original aluminum trees and those were dangerous! You could cut your hands easily on those little strips of aluminum for the straight branches! The pole was wood and in a few years, you had to get a new tree because the holes for the branches would wear and get bigger. We used hand made ornaments (on styrofoam) and a light wheel on the floor for the tree. You make due with what you have to do!

I remember the year when we were trying to figure out is Santa had come. We knew a sign was if the stockings were full. However, we couldn't get to the stockings in the dark. Something was in the way! We finally realized that meant he had come. What was blocking was a big plastic toy tank for my younger brother -- big enough to ride on!
Diane

Return to “Chit-Chat”