Register
In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased access to Members Forums. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

Just for fun -- Remember When?

Moderators: Beaj, HarDra, Birthe

Dragonlair

Just for fun -- Remember When?

Postby Dragonlair » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 am

I'm always most dangerous when I wash my hair. Somehow, the scrubbing makes my mind go off in all sorts of weird directions! That's what happened this evening and I thought it might be fun to try to remember just how much times have changed since we were kids. I know, I'm dating myself but many of us are in a similar age bracket so maybe it won't be so bad.

I'll start things off:

Remember When there was actually something to watch on TV? That was before the constant connect craze, before wi-fi, before smartphones, before cellphones, before the internet, before personal computers, even before cable TV! Back when you were lucky to have 3 different TV channels (besides the "educational channel" that's now known as PBS) the seasons were longer, there were fewer commercials so the actual shows were longer, and there weren't as many "specials" so you actually had a pretty much uninterrupted season.

It seems so funny that back there there was more to watch than now with hundreds of channels besides using streaming to get even more or pick up shows you missed when they were on.

I know I'm dating myself. I remember when a season was about 25 episodes and each hourly episode was about 50 - 51 minutes. Now, they're more like 42 - 45 minutes and seasons are 23 episodes -- if that. Some shows count a "season" as 13 episodes which is really a half-season.

My home town had 3 channels plus the educational channel until I was just getting into my teens. Then we got an independent channel that only was on the air from 4 PM to 10 PM daily. Not much coverage back then. And all it showed were the old westerns in black/white from the '50s.

You're next. Date yourself with something like this. Gi{{
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Beaj

Re: Just for fun -- Remember When?

Postby Beaj » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 am

I'll be back ...because I need to give this some thought.. Gi{{
" A laugh is a smile that bursts"
Lyudmila

Postby Lyudmila » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm

A great topic, Diane!

I am old enough to remember the time when there was no TV! Imagine? In 1950s there was no TV in regional or district centres of the USSR, let alone in villages. But this had a great positive side. As I lived at the railway station (literally, on its second floor as Granpa was the Station Master), there were two more families living next door, so they would all come to us on some evening when there was an opera(Sic!) or a play on the radio, as we had an electric radiola as it was called- radio and record player (remember those black records?) - two in one.

I cant imagine modern people seriously listening to a play (let alone an opera) for 3 hours around the radio in a small kitchen.
TV was available from 1960 or so. The box was enormous, the screan was already normal size, did not need a magnifying lense in front of it. There was one and only channel if we call it so- from the nearby (100 km away) regional centre (Chernivtsi). The programs were few- news, mainly just read by the presenter, and once a week- a concert late at night. The TV started working at 3 pm or so. There were old films on mainly. We loved that TV - without ads, with one and only presenter, no stupid reality shows and all that rubbish which flourishes on modern TV. The TV was black and white, but from time to time they would mention that scientists and engineers will soon make it colour.
Of course, Moscow and Leningrad, perhaps even our Kiev did have TV long before us and maybe it was more various, but I am talking about the provincial TV in Ukraine in early 1960s.

Do you remember life without fridges and washing machines?
Beaj

Postby Beaj » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 pm

OK, I'm back...
Well I remember no fridges . I spent summers at my grandparents farm and they stored milk , butter & cream in the well. No clue where the meat was kept??
I don't remember much about TV as I know my Aunt that raised my sister & I had a b/w one but can't remember spending much time watching it as we seemed to be otherwise busy with chores and school . Our Aunt had 4 of her own children , my sister & I and 8 boarders. She was a single parent. She also had a fridge ..
I remember saddle shoes & penny loafers.
I remember getting a pair of soft fuzzy gloves for Christmas and was asked to put them away and didn't and our new kitten chewed a couple fingers so I kept one hand in my coat pocket .. Gi{{
I remember we got a Schwinn bike that weighed more than I did and took a lot of stamina to ride. It had a horn.
I remember Uniforms that we wore in High School at the convent. There was no peer pressure to contend with there then...we were all equal.
I remember wringer washing machines. One time better than I would have liked as I had long hair and caught it in the wringers...kind of painful,...thank goodness for the release wringer bar.
These were some of my good old days and I would not change anything. We were well taken care of.. loved and lacked for nothing...This was a carefree time of life. I feel blessed. @};-

PS : Diane. In our home we have satellite TV. Our community here offers us for free 2 channels...1 English & 1 French...so here things have not moved forward. Population is around 700 and not worth the cable company coming by.. ;;}(
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Lyudmila,

I relate to the TV situation but not quite as much. In the early 50s, there was a fair amount of TV on both coasts of the US but not much in the middle. When my mother moved to Oklahoma from New York in the early 50s, there was only ONE channel in the capital of Oklahoma and they picked and chose what shows to have with the 3 or 4 networks available then. To show the age of that network (radio AND TV), the call letters started with "W". Later a convention was developed where TV/Radio stations EAST of the Mississippi started with a "W" and those WEST started with a "K". WKY stayed that way with TV and radio until the mid 70s when they decided that a the call letters could not be BOTH radio and TV. They sold the TV station and it changed to KFOR.

When I went down there just before my mother died in 2002, I had a bit of deja-vu! I was watching the news and they announced the sports anchor one evening. The name was the same as the one when I last lived there (in the late 70s). HUH? He couldn't still be working there! It was his son, just without the "jr."

I remember visiting my grandmother's place in Connecticut that didn't have indoor plumbing! What was originally supposed to be the garage was turned into a tiny 2 bedroom house (and the attic) but no plumbing. I do remember sitting in that outhouse with a mouse sitting above the door staring at me! The main house was never build because the Depression hit. Later, much later, the one small bedroom with the stairway to the attic was converted into a bathroom. The place was sold after my grandmother died but just the land. They rented it and the tenant smoked in bed and the house burned to the ground. That 16 acre huckleberry farm sold pretty good as everything else around it was already developed. Now it's a housing addition!

I've heard that the better your childhood, the less you remember. Unfortunately, I remember my childhood pretty well and a lot of little trivia details.

Bea, I agree. Things were simpler when we were kids. Even with all the uproar over the "hippies" and such, the culture was still centered on the family, not what the kids want and technology. Many things were more primitive but it was still the "good old days". We may have had crime and problems such as the assassination of JFK, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther but we didn't have such as 9/11 or the Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
Diane
Lyudmila

Postby Lyudmila » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Bea,
when we did not have a fridge, in summer butter was kept in a saucepan filled with cold water in the coldest corner of the pantry. As for meat, our neighbour from upstairs would salt pieces of meat and put them into 3 litre jars. I dont know why I always wanted to try a piece of that meat.

My granny (she was the family cook as mum worked) would have all the meat from the pig processed- some was smoked, some was baked in dough (correct word?), some would become all sorts of sausages. Some of the pig's fat would be salted and kept in those 3 litre jars, the rest would be melted by frying and then kept in the above-mentioned jars. In winter it was all easy- there was a pantry outside built into a small hill.
Beaj

Postby Beaj » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Diane, you reminded me that when I was 16 I went to live with my Dad because it was closer to the Convent where I was to go to school and he still had an outhouse...but indoor plumbing was installed shortly after. ;}}

Lyudmila...I remember that chicken was canned and was very tasty..My grandparents had cows we milked..chickens for eggs and also pigs and geese. We were well fed as our Aunt lived in town and when her parents came to town for supplies they always brought extra's THU{}
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Here's a slight twist on the theme - a case where I admit that I like things the way they are!

Remember when basic calculators that did more than the basic arithmetic functions plus maybe square root and pi cost more than $100? My first calculator, a big thick, chunky thing from TI cost me $120 at a discount house and was kept behind the counter! Those same features plus more (like a memory) are either free for about $1 now!

My third calculator (2nd one was so inaccurate I gave it to my mother - it said 8 ** 3 = 511.9999 instead of 512) was only about $57 and it had 10 memories and 100 program locations!

I mention this because the one area where capabilities are going way way up but prices are coming down is electronics - specifically computers. My first computer with a "huge" 40 MB drive cost about $10,000 whereas my latest one (5th) only cost $600 with 1 TB drive. 1 TB is 1000 GB which is 1024 MB.

I remember my mother BRAGGING that she didn't even know how to turn a computer on. I think she was afraid of them and wouldn't admit it.

Even with a MS in Computer Science, I'm very wary of computers BECAUSE I understand them. I know just what can go wrong!

But now, I admit that I can get spoiled very easily with one of the newest trends in computing -- electronic home assistants! I recently purchased 2 Amazon Echo Dots on sale (about $30 each - 40% off). I just got them last week. Over the weekend, we had a slight power glitch -- lights off and back on within a second or two. They were out just long enough to have to reset several clocks. While I was setting the clock on the microwave, I said "Alexa, what's the time?" and she told me! Alexa is the software that controls many of these Amazon devices. It requires wi-fi because the software is in the cloud.

It's amazing what a simple, almost throw-away cost item now can do. In the kitchen, I don't have to fuss with setting multiple timers for cooking, I can just tell Alexa, to set this or that timer for the amount of time. It's really neat!

It's scary because some features cannot be removed from the cloud and you do have to go clean up after yourself because information about you is stored on the cloud. If you're careful, it's innocent stuff like setting an egg timer for 12 minutes until you get around to clearing it.
Diane
stitchcrazy

Postby stitchcrazy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am

Diane, you have made me so jealous, we were just notified yesterday that even though the governor signed off that the rural electric co-ops could offer WiFi ours would not be since there are only about 12 homes per mile so they could not recoup the investment. That was our last hope since we are at the lowest part of the street with huge trees on 3 1/2 sides of the property blocking all signals. We have our phones but have to drive 10 miles to the library or McDonald's for internet.
I will write my memories tomorrow from the library.
Liz

A wise person does not keep a sledgehammer and a slow computer in the same room.
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 am

stitchcrazy wrote:Diane, you have made me so jealous, we were just notified yesterday that even though the governor signed off that the rural electric co-ops could offer WiFi ours would not be since there are only about 12 homes per mile so they could not recoup the investment. That was our last hope since we are at the lowest part of the street with huge trees on 3 1/2 sides of the property blocking all signals. We have our phones but have to drive 10 miles to the library or McDonald's for internet.
I will write my memories tomorrow from the library.

Liz, around here, they're really really pushing satellite. Things may have changed but I remember years ago (before we had the burr oak cut down) a pickup truck slowly moving down the street and pausing at each house. They were checking the reception for satellite TV (before the internet). The values ran from -5 to +5. My next-door neighbor rated about a 3, if I remember right. We got a -2! Something is in the way from our house to wherever the transmission is coming from. That told us that we're stuck with cable. Even with that fairly high rating, the neighbor had to have the receiver dish moved at least 2 or 3 times before she could get good signal and I think she's back on Comcast and the dish is just sitting there at the corner of her roof.

Now they're trying to push FIOS on us which would put a hole in the wall to set up a huge box inside the TV that needs power to run the phone! No thanks! We refuse to have the phone with the cable either - we don't want all our eggs in one basket.

There are times when technology kind of overwhelms you!

I wish you could use the Echo dot. Our biggest problem is to try to avoid saying the word "Alexa" because it wakes the thing up. If we catch ourselves and say "Sorry", she says "No problem". At least she's polite!
Diane

Return to “Chit-Chat”