Register
In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased access to Members Forums. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

I found the answer (at least in one case)!

Moderators: HarDra, Birthe, Beaj

Dragonlair

Re: I found the answer (at least in one case)!

Postby Dragonlair » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:22 am

I agree, the "C" in "Celtic" is often a bone of contention. It supposedly comes from a Greek word "Keltoi" that meant barbarian. I may not be remembering the Greek word right. It also seems to have meant "tall ones" according to one reference I found.

The reason they say the "C" is hard is because in Gaelic, the c is hard. But since the Celts NEVER called themselves that, that shouldn't have any influence.

Here, it's usually a hard c except when referencing the Boston Basketball team. :D

I think of the group as a hard "c" because I heard Damo mention the name in one of the special features and HE did it that way. To me, that made it official. It's Celtic Thunder as Keltic Thunder.

I did not know about Emmet meaning ant although it sounds almost like it. If it means ant with one "t", what does it mean with 2 "t"s. ;) One of the two with the name with the group spelled it with 2 "t"s.

As for my "research". I got interested in the group over the past year or two and it's amazing what you can find on the internet!

I'm always been interested in languages. I remember a question on Jeopardy! YEARS ago that made my mother very mad. She refused to accept it. The answer was, "It's the most widely spoken Germanic language.". The question was "What is ENGLISH?" My mother, being from the WWII generation would not accept anything from Germany having that much influence in America. But they're right. English as spoken now is not the Briton of King Arthur's day. It's a mix of the Angles, the Saxons, and the Normans for the most part. And who were the Angles and the Saxons? German tribes! The Normans were French.
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 am

I just had to add to this thread with a new bit of info.

I found a new video on YouTube HERE.

In one of the images, one of the Celtic Thunder guys (it's not possible to tell who, but it's probably Paul Byrom) lifts his kilt to show his boxers - green background with white shamrocks. Gi{{

I don't know about ancient times, but I guess men now, don't want a "healthy breeze around their privates". Note -- the quote is from "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and is made by an old wizard. >}[

This isn't quite out of bounds and it is from YouTube. It shows a DIFFERENT answer to the question ;;}(
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Beaj

Postby Beaj » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks Diane......Cute...but they sure do sing beautifully. (*)
" A laugh is a smile that bursts"

Return to “Chit-Chat”