Register
In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased access to Members Forums. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

Seeking your prayers for my mom...

Moderator: Birthe

Shelly palmer

Seeking your prayers for my mom...

Postby Shelly palmer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:31 am

"My mom has made it possible for me to be who I am. Our family is everything. Her greatest skill was encouraging me to find my own person and own independence." These are the words of the great actress Charlize Theron. I believe in the above words.

Hi everyone, my mom is suffering from dementia for the last one year. I am working in a private firm and I have hired a caretaker from one of the elder care services to look after her when I am away. My mom and father divorced some years back due to personal issues.

When I return home after work, I spent time with her talking about the olden days. When she hears my stories she suddenly gets disturbed and I will stop it. She doesn't remember most of the incidents and sometimes I feel very sad. I really miss my old and energetic mom. Sometimes, I sang the old songs which were very common during the childhood days and on hearing that she is quite happy. My mother used to knit, so I try to bring back her old skills. She's still knitting like olden days, so I have a hope that I can bring my mother back to the normal life.

Recently, I read an article and it mentions that speech therapy activities are good for dementia patients. Is it a good idea to bring back my mother to the normal condition? Has anyone adopted a speech therapy treatment? Please share your thoughts. Always keep my mom in your prayers. Thanks.
Dragonlair

Re: Seeking your prayers for my mom...

Postby Dragonlair » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:39 am

I've seen several reports on the news in the past few days about music therapy for dementia patients. In one case, they've given a bunch of patients ipods that are individually filled with music that that patient's family selects as what they like. They use headphones to avoid distractions. Even patients that don't talk anymore will sing to their favorite songs. The memories are still there and the music helps.

The other story was about musicians who have dementia. Someone has brought together a group of them and they can still play and they play together.

I don't know that there is anything at this time that will reverse it and make them normal again but this music therapy does seem to help and give them a better quality of life.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your mother as you seek what works best for you and she continues to have a good quality of life in your care. Remember to take care of yourself, too! That's just as important.
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Beaj

Postby Beaj » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi Shelly,
I have no other help to offer as I've no experience with dementia but as Diane has mentioned I have heard of where music seems to remain part of their memories.
My prayers are offered for you and your family.
:ympray:
Take Care & God Bless
" A laugh is a smile that bursts"
Shelly palmer

Postby Shelly palmer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 am

Thank you, Diane and Beaj for your kind concern and information. Music therapy, oh that is quite good to know. Let me talk with our doctor also. My mom loves to hear music and sometimes I play her favorite tracks too. I will let you know the progress. Thanks for keeping my mom and our family in your prayers...

Return to “Prayer Forum”