Page 3 of 3

Re: A little more unusual!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm
by stitchcrazy
Now that we are on the topic of Mercury, want to hear something scary? Back in 1964 I was in Junior High School out on Guam (step father was stationed there in the Navy) and in our science class the teacher passed around little "balls" of mercury for all of us to roll around in our hands, splitting it and letting it join back together! I wonder if any of us got mercury poisoning.

Re: A little more unusual!

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm
by Dragonlair
stitchcrazy wrote:Now that we are on the topic of Mercury, want to hear something scary? Back in 1964 I was in Junior High School out on Guam (step father was stationed there in the Navy) and in our science class the teacher passed around little "balls" of mercury for all of us to roll around in our hands, splitting it and letting it join back together! I wonder if any of us got mercury poisoning.


Now THAT's scary! It was about 10 years later that I was in that Physics lab. I wonder when it was determined that mercury was so toxic. It was just a few years before your experience that the first Etch-a-sketch came out (1960) and they didn't realize then.

I still say that the reason for my dad's death (back in 1995) was LOOOOOOOOONG term low-dose exposure to radiation. He was a Nuclear Med Tech from BEFORE they called it that -- back when it was the "Radio-Isotope Lab". They changed the name because the doctors confused radioisotope and radiology (X-Ray). Back in the 50s and 60s, they didn't know just how dangerous that stuff was. He never had a notice on the tags he always wore but he still was exposed to a lot of radioactive medicine in over 30 years working with the stuff! They're much more cautious now!

A little knowledge is dangerous -- more is better!