Register
In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased access to Members Forums. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

A little more unusual!

Moderators: Beaj, Louison, Birthe, stitchcrazy

Dragonlair

Re: A little more unusual!

Postby Dragonlair » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:21 pm

JennyAM wrote:That's cool, Diane!
I love LEGO. My kids were fans of Lego when they were smaller. My son went for the Star Wars and Lego City series, and my daughter for Lego Friends. I've got boxes and boxes of both (I'm thinking of selling them. i've got a fortune there! ID:{ )
The Lego remover tool is very easy to use. If you search on Youtube you'll find clues on how to use it. (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKiRD6U1LU)

Thanks, Jenny!

I think I know where I was having problems, I was pushing, not pulling. My separator, of course, is not Lego but LOZ and it's MUCH smaller. It doesn't have the post for the axle pieces since I've never seen such pieces with LOZ. What that doesn't cover is the case where you have a direct stack of the same sized pieces. With LOZ, that's very common. However, I found a video on that same page that covers that case with Legos - without using a true separator, just other bricks.
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 am

I found a neat little thing on clearance today at my local Meijer store. It is supposed to be an iphone case. I don't have iphone, I don't have "i" anything (I personally can't stand Apple). However, it was actually a micro lego-like base plate (curved a bit on the sides) and it came with about 200 little micro bricks (1X2 and 1X1 only in 4 colors). It was 75% off so I just paid $1.75. The retail price was $7. The little bricks are compatible with my LOZ micro bricks.

It also came with a little brick separator and I was playing with it. It was more convenient than digging out the other 2 I have from LOZ. Now that I know to pull, it works wonderfully - even with a straight stack of same sized bricks.

Like the LOZ separator, there was no post but with only 1 or 2 pips/brick, why did it need one?

I'm happy. It just goes to show - just because a package says something is to be used a certain way doesn't mean you have to do it that way. If you have a use for it out of the box - go for it!
Diane
Birthe

Postby Birthe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 am

LEGO was invented in Denmark - and by the way, it is 1 Lego brick, 2 Lego bricks - not Legos.
The company originally made wooden toys.
I bought the first bricks in 1960 for my young brother. The 3 years I lived in Germany in the 60's I could go to a toy store and by a small box with 10 pieces of whatever I needed - like fence pieces, trees or windows.
In Canada later that was not possible. My oldest son still has an extensive collection, and a box sold by the company to store special pieces in.
I have twice taken my children to Legoland, a large park next to the factory, where everything is made of Lego bricks. You can ride a train, and get a driver's license, and of course walk around the large miniature village.
There is also an antique doll museum.

https://www.legoland.dk/en/the-park/ove ... -the-park/
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2014-0 ... olland.jpg
http://www.zoover.com/denmark/jutland/b ... und/photos

Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Birthe wrote:LEGO was invented in Denmark - and by the way, it is 1 Lego brick, 2 Lego bricks - not Legos.
The company originally made wooden toys.

I knew LEGO was a European company but I can never remember which one. OOP:}

LEGO as a term, has become like "Kleenex" or "Saltine" - generic for the type of object. That's why people say "Legos" rather than "Lego bricks". People don't usually say "Kleenex tissues" because it sounds redundant. The name says it all! It's actually quite a complement.

The LEGO movies lately has given them even more "name recognition". I've heard of several Legoland places but none anywhere near where I live.

I don't know how many clone companies there are for sure. I know there are several that are made to work directly with either Duplo or Lego. The smaller bricks (mini or Micro sized) are called "Lego-Like" because they are the same kind of bricks with the hollow underside and "pips" on top. Even special pieces connect in a similar method. They are just smaller. The smaller ones are not for small children. Some can be as small as about 2 mm. Trying to start a stack of the tiny 1X1 pieces (especially the round ones) is a real trick! Once you get them started, they "stack" fairly easily.

BTW, there was another construction toy that was popular when I was a kid (along with Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys -- both still around) that I haven't seen in years. Are Erector Sets still made?
Diane
Birthe

Postby Birthe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 am

Patricia

Postby Patricia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Looks good, Diane. My son gave me a small Lego kit for Christmas. I used to always get him one for his stocking, but I don't do stockings for him any more (grown, married, etc.) so I guess he thought he'd get me a kit instead.
… Pat …
Please visit my PictureTrail album and feel free to leave a comment in the guestbook.
My PictureTrail Album
Lyudmila

Postby Lyudmila » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm

When I was little, we played with wooden "constructors"- a version of today's Lego. Later my younger brother had a "constructor" made of metal with numerous round holes in the parts. No idea what those holes were for- perhaps to save metal? Anyway, I liked the wooden bricks better- they were colourful and "warm" if you see what I mean.
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:14 am

Lyudmila wrote:When I was little, we played with wooden "constructors"- a version of today's Lego. Later my younger brother had a "constructor" made of metal with numerous round holes in the parts. No idea what those holes were for- perhaps to save metal? Anyway, I liked the wooden bricks better- they were colourful and "warm" if you see what I mean.

I think what your brother had was probably an Erector set. The holes were for multiple places to connect the different pieces with the included nuts and bolts. I did some googling. Erector sets are still around but under a different name - Meccano. The company has been bought out several times over the years. It started about 1914.

As I grew up, there were 2 constructor sets that used wood. Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs.

Lincoln Logs was mostly various lengths of round wooden poles with cutouts at the ends so you could "nest" them to make log cabins. There were also long straight pieces (green, I think) to use for the roofs.

Tinker Toys were various lengths (color coded for lengths) of wooden dowels and round wooden pieces with holes in them. You build by placing the dowels into the round pieces. Some had larger center openings so they could be used as wheels. They were open and airy and you just make the "outline" of things. The dowels had slots in the ends for flags and such to be inserted into them as well. We ALWAYS had a big round cardboard canister of Tinker Toys for Christmas when we were kids.

Now they definitely use non-toxic paint for the dowels but I wonder how careful they were back then. After all, the original Etch-A-Sketch actually used mercury! I think they use some kind of aluminum power, now.
Diane
Lyudmila

Postby Lyudmila » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:52 am

Speaking about mercury. The other day I read in local news that someone broke a thermometer and emergency service was called to sort it out. In c.1955 I broke a thermometre, mum (being a paramedic, so she knew all about mercury) took a sheet of paper, "caught" all the funny balls with it and off the mercury went into a bottle and then- into the rubbish bin, I think.

The wooden pieces I remember were just of different shape- arches, poles, bricks, etc. They could be put one on top of the other or next to each other, but were not joined as the ones you describe. And the paint was really bright, so I doubt it was very safe.
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Lyudmila wrote:Speaking about mercury. The other day I read in local news that someone broke a thermometer and emergency service was called to sort it out. In c.1955 I broke a thermometre, mum (being a paramedic, so she knew all about mercury) took a sheet of paper, "caught" all the funny balls with it and off the mercury went into a bottle and then- into the rubbish bin, I think.

The wooden pieces I remember were just of different shape- arches, poles, bricks, etc. They could be put one on top of the other or next to each other, but were not joined as the ones you describe. And the paint was really bright, so I doubt it was very safe.

Your wooden toy doesn't sound like anything I've seen. It may be one of those many cultural differences.

Back in college, I had to take Physics to get my BS in Math (fortunately, only one semester of Lecture and lab), one lab concerned changes in pressure and volume. Of course, we used mercury. There were only 2 setups so the class split to work in 2 groups. One apparatus refused to work right so we were sent to the other group to finish up. In that one, the person watching the pressure wasn't watching close enough and we had mercury spewing out of the top. We called the lab instructor over (grad student assistant). He took one look at the mess and jerked his thumb over his shoulder! Except for one guy who had to help clean up the mess, you never saw a class empty so fast! I asked that one helper later and he said they put some stuff on the mercury and left it over night to clean up the next day when it was safe but there were no EMTs or officials called. They knew what to do and they were just college kids! I guess with Physics classes, they did learn a bit about handling the different elements. THU{}
Diane

Return to “Other Hobbies”