Register
In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased access to Members Forums. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

A little more unusual!

Moderators: Beaj, Louison, Birthe, stitchcrazy

Dragonlair

A little more unusual!

Postby Dragonlair » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 am

With the cold that's been around for the past few weeks, I haven't gone out much. Even hubby went out for groceries a few days ago so we wouldn't have to go out for another week. It's unreal!

Once I got my fires back online (2 deregistered themselves and I had to rebuild them), I went back to my new "toy".

Remember Legos? They're still extremely popular - for all ages. I never got to do much with them as a kid for two reasons -- I was a girl and they were considered almost exclusively boy toys then and they were expensive. They still are.

Take a look at THIS PHOTO of my model of St. Basil's Cathedral using a smaller version of Lego blocks called Loz Diamond Blocks. The mug next to it shows the scale of the model that uses about 1860 bricks! It looks like I need to press down on the front wall a bit-- there's a gap between rows. WH_:{

Loz bricks are the same height as the smaller Lego bricks but about 1/4th the surface area! They're tiny!

I've got 2 of these little model kits. The other is Big Ben with about 870 bricks.

They're fun! And because they aren't glued or anything, you can just take them apart and then at a later time put them together again!
There's no such thing as a stupid question!
Diane
Beaj

Re: A little more unusual!

Postby Beaj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 am

Wow, that's quite something..and definitely small.Looks like that could be fun. >}[
" A laugh is a smile that bursts"
Jackie

Postby Jackie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 am

Great job, Diane! Congratulations!
This is ''mini-mini''....looking good! ;;}( >}[
daisy_lil2000

Postby daisy_lil2000 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Well done Diane. THU{}
Julia
stitchcrazy

Postby stitchcrazy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:48 pm

Those blocks can get quite addictive. My oldest great-granddaughter has been loving her huge Duplo blocks for a couple of years now and saw a few of the things my grandson (25) still has put together with Legos. She wanted to play with loose ones and was a bit upset when we showed hew that it says 4+ on the package. She will be 4 the end of March and I have a nice assortment of things for her, loose blocks as well as a carry-all that has the board to build on built into the top. Those will have to be a "stay at grandma's house" toy so we don't have to worry about the twins grabbing them.
Keep building, Diane.
Liz

A wise person does not keep a sledgehammer and a slow computer in the same room.
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:28 am

Liz,

She should not TOUCH these Loz Diamond bricks or Nanobricks (same size - different company) for now. They are far smaller than Legos. Loz has a "Micro brick" that's somewhat in between the two sizes.

Some people get mad when they say "Lego-like" and then find out they aren't the same size. Lego-like does NOT mean Lego-Clone! It just means it's the same type of bricks that connect together the same way.

These Loz kits come with a little doo-dad that's supposed to help you take them apart. I found that Lego has a similar tool for their smaller (shorter) bricks. I haven't figured out how to use it yet and I've got 2 of them! Lego charges $1.69 for their remover tool but it does come with some kits. From what I understand, Loz always comes with it.

Note- Loz is a "clone" of Nanobricks and is considered to be a "thief" of design ideas but as far as I know is completely legal. They have a Neuschwanstein Castle design with over 6800 bricks that I would LOVE to do but it's about $140 - $160 for the kit at Amazon.
Diane
stitchcrazy

Postby stitchcrazy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm

No worries, Diane, she is getting regular Lego bricks. I even made a large, 5 foot diameter, "playmat" with a drawstring to contain the mess. I stepped on enough of grandson's Legos to learn my lesson. I figure she can play with them then I can gather up the mat and dump everything into the storage container.
Liz

A wise person does not keep a sledgehammer and a slow computer in the same room.
Dragonlair

Postby Dragonlair » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 pm

stitchcrazy wrote:No worries, Diane, she is getting regular Lego bricks. I even made a large, 5 foot diameter, "playmat" with a drawstring to contain the mess. I stepped on enough of grandson's Legos to learn my lesson. I figure she can play with them then I can gather up the mat and dump everything into the storage container.

I found several of those mats for sale at Amazon. I don't remember the cost. It's designed for storage as well as play and one image shows about 3 kids playing on one at the same time.

Your great granddaughter at "almost" 4 is old enough for regular Legos but if she's prone to putting things in her mouth, I would watch out for the ones with the 1/3 height pieces - especially the short ones. Those may still be a bit small for her.

BTW - I gave up on the castle with the micro-bricks. I decided that they were too small for that large of a project. At least, I do - but I feel it's best to be able to hold the piece in your hand as you build the project and the castle is just too big for that. The cathedral was OK because most of it was building the individual towers and putting them on the base WAS a bear.

I have ordered a set of 6 kits of Star Wars figures (very simplistic). Each kit has 2 items (3 of the total 12 items are fighter planes). The set of 6 was more than 30% off getting them individually! It's due on Friday.
Diane
Ceejay

Postby Ceejay » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

That is lovely and lots of work and time . Leggo has been around for many years and good for all ages as are the newer block type. Every child started with wooden blocks and the adults progress to this wonderful hobby,. Well done
@};- Jean @};-
JennyAM

Postby JennyAM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm

That's cool, Diane!
I love LEGO. My kids were fans of Lego when they were smaller. My son went for the Star Wars and Lego City series, and my daughter for Lego Friends. I've got boxes and boxes of both (I'm thinking of selling them. i've got a fortune there! ID:{ )
The Lego remover tool is very easy to use. If you search on Youtube you'll find clues on how to use it. (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKiRD6U1LU)

Return to “Other Hobbies”